Writing histories and organizational stories is a labor of love. It requires planning, information gathering, and research, as well as time and passion too.
Organizations are a treasure-trove for stories. Some stories are fact-based, others fiction. From individuals to teams, stories:
- Inspire change.
- Support training.
- Empower leadership.
- Sell products and services.
- Strengthen proposals.
Stories thrive in local communities. They bring communities together. And they drive tourism too with stories about:
- Intriguing people or places.
- Founders who built your community.
- The people who came before.
- The land.
Family history and memoirs
The sharing of a family history enriches lives. It provides a sense of belonging and insight in the past. Family history:
- Crafts creative stories about people from the past.
- Records short biographies of your relatives.
- Shares memoirs of the living.
[Creative] Nonfiction and Historical fiction
Writing historical narratives to arouse deep emotions
While many of these tales contain facts, they’re often incomplete. When writing histories, a skilled writer identifies the themes in the information. They take the mundane, give it meaning and infuse it with emotion.
As a skilled writer, I use the information you gather to research and find something new to tell. Your story needs an aim. Such as:
- To persuade listeners to aspire to be better people.
- To give a sense of belonging and hope.
And a great story also needs:
- Well defined characters.
Do you want a collection of unforgettable stories about your ancestors to pass down to your children? Or a story to empower change in your employees? Or, perhaps you’re after an anthology of stories about the founders and pillars of your community. I can assist you with all of these as a freelance writer writing histories. But I don’t do this alone. Your story needs you to shape it. We work together to mold the information you have into a story you want to share.
Create memorable stories
With facts from reliable sources and prose
As a freelance writer writing histories, my services start before the first word in the first scene stains the page. In addition to the information you have gathered, I may also:
- Collect additional archival data.
- Organize surveys and questionnaires.
- Visit places to get a sense of the past.
- Conduct ethnographic research including the study of people and interviews.
- Facilitate creative research including workshops.
Writing histories requires thoughtful and carefully considered choices. My aim is to reconstruct a fact-filled, life-like past regardless of whether you want a journalistic style article or a historical fiction.